Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Allegory of the Cave



In the Allegory of the Cave, Plato describes a place where there are prisoners stuck in a cave and they are chained down and are not aloud to move even there heads. In this cave there is light from a fire behind the prisoners were the guards have all these little like props that they used to cast a shadow on the wall. They would tell the prisoners what each prop that they would cast on the wall was and explain what it did. Since the prisoners could not leave the cave they believed everything that they were told. They were like young naive little kids that didn't know any better.

I found this picture when I searched for images that resemble what heaven is suppose to look like. To me the allegory of the cave is just like the thought of heaven. Ever since I can remember I have been told if I behave one way or repent and go to church every sunday that I will get to go to heaven. Now that I am older I really look at the thought and wonder if it truly is the way they say it is. Im not saying I don't believe in it i'm just saying how does anybody really know that heaven exsits. I mean the only way to know is if you die and you cannot die and then come back and tell everyone that its there but that can never happen. So I think that the subject of heaven and everything that we learn about it is just like how the prisoners are being taught of something they know nothing about. So just like the prisoners we are young and naive and won't know the truth until we die and go to heaven or whatever really happens.

No comments: